Bombay now Mumbai saw its first bus run on 15 July 1926 between Afghan Church and Crawford Market. It’s a main source of travelling to classes of people in Mumbai. This mode of transport was under rough waters being under financial loss, now it has been overtaken by Municipal Corporation. To the commuters delight the fares of tickets are decreased considerably.
The day when the BEST service was introduced, the people of Bombay received the bus with enthusiasm, but it took some time before this means of conveyance really established itself. Despite stiff opposition and protests by taxi drivers, the service ran without a hitch, transporting 600,000 passengers by the end of that year. The following year the number had increased to 3.8 million.
History of BEST Bus
Until 1995 is was known as Bombay Electric Supply & Transport and now Brihanmumbai Electricity Supply and Transport (BEST). It is a civic transport and electricity provider public body based in Mumbai, It was originally set up in 1873 as a tramway company called “Bombay Tramway Company Limited”. The company set up a captive thermal power station at the Wadi bunder in November 1905 to generate electricity for its trams and positioned it to also supply electricity to the city and re-branded itself to “Bombay Electric Supply & Tramways (BEST)” Company.
In 1926, BEST also became an operator of motor buses.
In 1947, the BEST became an undertaking of the Municipal Corporation and rebranded itself to “Bombay Electric Supply & Transport (BEST)”.
In 1995 the organisation was renamed to “Brihanmumbai Electric Supply & Transport (BEST)” alongside Bombay being renamed to Mumbai. It now operates as an autonomous body under the Municipal Corporation.
1865–1873: Early proposals
The idea of a mass public transport system for Bombay was first put forward in 1865 by an American company, which applied for a licence to operate a horse-drawn tramway system.
1873–1905: Bombay Tramway Company Limited, introduction of horse-drawn trams
The “Bombay Tramway Company Limited” was formally set up in 1873. After a contract was entered into between the Bombay Tramway Company, the municipality and Stearns and Kitteredge company, the Bombay Presidency enacted “The Bombay Tramways Act, 1874”, under which the Company was licensed to run a horsecar tramway service in the city. On 9 May 1874, the first horse-drawn tram made its début in the city, plying on the Colaba–Pydhone via Crawford Market, and Bori Bunder to Pydhonie via Kalbadevi routes.
1905–1947: Bombay Electric Supply & Tramway Company Limited, introduction of electric trams and buses
In 1905, “Bombay Electric Supply & Tramway Company Limited” (B.E.S.T.) was formed. The B.E.S.T. Company was granted the monopoly for electric supply and the running of an electric tram service in the city. It bought the assets of the Bombay Tramway Company for Rs.9,850,000. Two years later in 1907, the first electric tram debuted in the city.
1947–1995: Bombay Electric Supply & Transport, further expansion[
The Bombay Electric Supply and Tramways Co. Ltd, the BMC acquired the assets of the combined undertaking, namely the operation of tramways and distribution of electricity in the city of Bombay as a going concern on 7 August 1947. By mutual agreement, the corporation also took over the operation of the bus services, which was run by the Bombay Electric Supply & Transport Company. Thus, “Bombay Electric Supply & Tramways Company” was renamed “Bombay Electric Supply & Transport”
1995–present: Brihanmumbai Electric Supply & Transport, recent developments
With the renaming the city from Bombay to Mumbai in 1995, the organization was renamed to “Brihanmumbai Electric Supply & Transport (BEST)”. Following a Supreme Court directive, the company gradually phased out old buses and introduced new buses which complied with the Euro III pollution control standards.
Article Source: Wikipedia
Also read: First Tram Service in Mumbai