The first tram, begun on 9 May 1874 between Pydhonie and Colaba. It were drawn by six to eight horses. The cost of riding the tram was one annas which had speed of 5 miles per hour.
The areas connected by tram was Grant Road, Pydhonie, Girgaum, Byculla bridge and Sassoon Dock. After the introduction of electric trams, the route was extended till King Circle. Dadar was the main tram terminus, till today it is known as Dadar T.T.
Below photos shows the horse tram at V.T. and double decker tram at Pydhonie:
In 1907, Bombay Electric Supply and Transport Company (BEST) took over and introduced electric trams. Later double decker trams were introduced in 1920. By 31st March 1964 the trams were abandoned due to growth in traffic and fast paced life of Mumbai.
First Bus in Mumbai
The tram services was taken over by Bombay Electric Supply and Transport Company (BEST) in 1907. But rapid urbanisation and growth in traffic brought an end to trams. Due to this BEST introduced buses, the solution for quicker transport. The first bus (in below photo) ran on 15th July 1926.
Tram Tracks Found at flora fountain during road construction work in 2016: