The Fort area built by the Britishers had three main gates. The one gate was entry to St. Thomas Church. This gate was demolished in 1860. Later the railway station was built in close proximity to the position of the demolished gate. Hence the name Churchgate. This entrance gate for the church is the place where flora fountain stands today.
The below photo is the Churchgate in the 1860s with the spire of St Thomas Church in the background. Churchgate station which built in 1870, is named after the street leading out of this gate. Second photo is the other side view of first photo.