Built in the 20th century, The Prince of Wales Museum houses a collection of rare ancient artworks and sculptures of India and far-Eastern countries. It is a treasured structure and the magnificence of the architecture and artifacts are worth a visit.
The Prince of Wales Museum, now known as ‘Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya’, was built in honor and to commemorate the visit of King George V to India. Initially the museum was used as a military hospital and a ‘Children’s Welfare Center’ during the ‘First World War’. The museum was inaugurated in 1922.
The Prince of Wales Museum is one of Mumbai’s prized structures. It is built in the Indi-Saracenickind of architecture.The building design is a blend of 15th to 16th century Gujarati and Islamic design and English brickwork. The top is adorned with a Mughal white dome.Lush gardens surround the museum.
1) A number of art and artifacts originating from India, Tibet, Nepal and other far eastern countries are preserved in this museum.
2) Collection of 2000 rare miniature paintings from well- known art schools in India.
3) Ancient Indian artand sculptures, decorative art made from wood, metal, jade and ivory
4) Rare archeological artifacts that date back to the ‘Indus Valley’ civilization in the 2000 B.C
5) Beautiful display of remnants from the ‘Maurya’ as well as ‘Gupta’ periods
6) The ‘Natural History’ section of the museum includes a collection of reptiles, mammals, amphibians, birds and fishes.
7) There is also section displaying Indian arms and armor
8) Another section for European oil paintings.
Monday to Sunday – 10.15 am to 6.00 pm.
January 26, May 1, August 15, October 2 and public holidays falling on Mondays
How to Reach
The Museum is at a 20-minute walking distance from both major local railway terminuses, Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (Central Railway) and Churchgate (Western Railway).
You can reach the Museum by bus or taxi from the nearest stations,
Bus Numbers from Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus: 14, 69, 101,130
Bus Numbers from Churchgate: 70, 106, 122, 123, 132, 137
Rs. 70 (Adults)
Rs. 35 (College Students)
Rs. 20 (Children & Students)
Rs. 500 (Adults)
Rs. 50 (College Students)
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya
159-161 Mahatma Gandhi Road,
Fort, Mumbai – 400023
Contact: 022 22844484 | 22844519